Error on training? json.decoder.JSONDecodeError

I've downloaded games for ML bot training via hlt client, compressed it as zip and get following output, additionally I also tried without compressing and renaming to start with replay, same error with json.

~/halite/mlbot🍀$ python3 -m tsmlstarterbot.train --model_name model_long_training --data data/replays.zip --games_limit 100 --steps 5000 --seed 15485863
Found 230 games.
Trying to load up to 100 games ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
File "/Users/Dovla/Desktop/Dev/halite/mlbot/tsmlstarterbot/train.py", line 123, in <module>
main()
File "/Users/Dovla/Desktop/Dev/halite/mlbot/tsmlstarterbot/train.py", line 81, in main
raw_data = fetch_data_zip(args.data, args.games_limit)
File "/Users/Dovla/Desktop/Dev/halite/mlbot/tsmlstarterbot/train.py", line 56, in fetch_data_zip
d = json.loads(lines[0].decode())
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/json/__init__.py", line 319, in loads
return _default_decoder.decode(s)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/json/decoder.py", line 339, in decode
obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/json/decoder.py", line 357, in raw_decode
raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

What am I doing wrong?

Did you try using the make commands in the makefile to train, I havent tested this by directly calling the python code yet.

Yes, initially I train with make and it works. Then I download games I want, zip them, and change the name of in the Makefile, run make and I think its same error, line before last?

~/Desktop/Dev/halite/mlbot🍀 $ make
mkdir -p models/
python3 -m tsmlstarterbot.train --model_name model_long_training --data data/replays.zip --games_limit 1000 --steps 5000 --seed 15485863
Found 230 games.
Trying to load up to 1000 games ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
"__main__", mod_spec)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "/Users/Dovla/Desktop/Dev/halite/mlbot/tsmlstarterbot/train.py", line 123, in <module>
main()
File "/Users/Dovla/Desktop/Dev/halite/mlbot/tsmlstarterbot/train.py", line 81, in main
raw_data = fetch_data_zip(args.data, args.games_limit)
File "/Users/Dovla/Desktop/Dev/halite/mlbot/tsmlstarterbot/train.py", line 56, in fetch_data_zip
d = json.loads(lines[0].decode())
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/json/__init__.py", line 319, in loads
return _default_decoder.decode(s)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/json/decoder.py", line 339, in decode
obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/json/decoder.py", line 357, in raw_decode
raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
make: *** [models/model_long_training.ckpt.meta] Error 1

Anyone has an idea what might be the reason? Because make with default file works, must be something in way I download files?

When you download new files, have you checked whether you have decoded them into json?

hmmm.. no I have not done so. The only thing I did was download, and zip them.

Where can I read about this part? Somehow I missed it.
How is it usually done?

Thanks

Anyone has a potential idea?

You are right, it was due to json. The begging of the file has

b'

and ending

'

Any idea how to avoid this in general?

btw.. directly calling python to train works without make, I just did training.

I used the hlt_client python script to download replays, and they came through as valid JSON. Perhaps give that a try?

I'm not positive but I seem to recall that was a bug in earlier versions of the client, you might try downloading a fresh copy and see if it works correctly now.

It's worth capturing for the collective memory here, as well, that I've seen an error (different from above) when download replay files have 0 characters. This line in particular will halt: https://github.com/HaliteChallenge/Halite-II/blob/master/airesources/ML-StarterBot-Python/tsmlstarterbot/train.py#L55
However, I suspect that the 0-character length files I had were errors from the hlt_client, possibly an older version.

What command did you use to train via python? Running python3 -m tsmlstarterbot.train ... throws the same error

Any information on how to avoid the binary format of b' in the beginning and ' in the end?